April 16th, 2018|
Making the decision to move your loved one into a nursing home isn’t easy. But millions of Americans have to make that difficult decision every year based on their loved ones’ health and the best interests of their well-being in the years to come.
At Berg Injury Lawyers, we know that nursing homes can be positive places where people enjoy a strong sense of community and excellent care—but they can also be places where abuse and neglect occur frequently—even daily.
If you suspect that your loved one was abused or neglected at their nursing home facility, having a California nursing home abuse lawyer on your side can help to:
- Verify that abuse or neglect occurred—It’s important to have an experienced team on your side that knows abuse and neglect and can pursue it when the facts and evidence show it occurred.
- Link your loved one’s physical or psychological damage to the abuse or neglect—To have a strong case, it’s not enough to just prove that abuse or neglect happened. Our legal team can also prove that mistreatment at the nursing home led to serious physical and mental health problems.
It’s important to act right away if you suspect abuse or neglect. In addition to protecting your loved one’s rights, acting fast also means reducing their risks of suffering serious abuse and neglect-related complications and illnesses.
Call us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
April 9th, 2018|
The fact that a large percentage of American workers are eligible for Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits if they become disabled due to work-related illnesses or injuries is a double-edged sword.
On one hand, it’s a great safety net for workers and their families when they’re victims of accidents or other unfortunate on-the-job incidents that threaten their health. But on the other hand, the wide availability of SSD benefits means that strict standards and requirements must be met before workers can get approved for the benefits they deserve.
Some of those strict standards and requirements can be and often are violated by first-time applicants, especially if they are unfamiliar with the process or proceed without the help of a California Social Security Disability lawyer. Common mistakes that applicants sometimes make include:
- Not taking medical treatment seriously – Getting approved for SSD benefits means proving you’re suffering from an illness or injury. If you put off going to the doctor or fail to follow his or her instructions, it can harm your claim when you’re seeking benefits.
- Waiting too long to file a claim or contact a lawyer – Time is of the essence with SSD claims. Every SSD claim must go through multiple steps, and the longer you wait, the longer it will take for the Social Security Administration to process your claim.
At Berg Injury Lawyers, we fight for the rights of people like you to help them get the money they deserve. Call today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to put our experience, resources, and determination to work for you and your loved ones.
April 2nd, 2018|
When big trucks—which can weigh up to 80,000 pounds—are involved in accidents with cars, trucks, and SUVs, the occupants of those vehicles face significant risks of suffering devastating injuries.
At Berg Injury Lawyers, our California truck accident attorneys know that semi truck and tractor trailer accidents are among the most devastating crashes that can happen on highways and interstates throughout the Golden State. Truck accident victims often deal with debilitating pain and disability, while others may face life-threatening complications.
Three common injuries that result from truck accidents include:
- Back and neck injuries – Truck accidents involve tremendous amounts of force—much of which is absorbed by victims’ backs and necks. Victims may develop whiplash, a chronic and disabling neck injury, or they may suffer from torn ligaments and nerve damage in their backs. They may even incur spinal cord damage, which can put them at risk of suffering paralysis.
- Head injuries – Seat belts and air bags are designed to protect drivers’ and passengers’ heads during crashes, but they’re not always 100-percent effective, especially when vehicles collide with trucks. Head injuries are common during collisions with tractor-trailers, and victims can suffer from traumatic brain injuries.
- Internal injuries – Sometimes the most serious injuries victims suffer aren’t visible or obvious. Victims’ internal organs can be damaged during accidents due to blunt force trauma or even due to being forcefully moved around inside their bodies at impact.
No matter what type of injuries you or your loved one suffered as a result of someone else’s negligence, it’s vital that you seek medical attention immediately. Get in touch with us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help you.
March 26th, 2018|
At Berg Injury Lawyers, we know there are few events in life more devastating than losing a loved one. The loss can be even more difficult to process if it was caused by a preventable accident.
Our California wrongful death lawyers fight to help families and surviving spouses, children, and parents get compensation after a loved one dies due to someone else’s negligence. However, our years of experience handling these types of cases has made us aware that many families are unsure whether they have a wrongful death claim.
There are certain types of fatal accidents and scenarios that can be considered wrongful death, such as:
- Work-related accidents – If your loved one suffered fatal injuries at work due to a lack of training or safety equipment or a dangerous work environment, you may be eligible to file a claim for compensation.
- Car accidents – All drivers have a responsibility to drive safely and cautiously. When they fail to uphold that responsibility, they can seriously injure and even kill innocent people—and that can be grounds for victims’ families to file wrongful death claims.
- Medical malpractice – Doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare providers are supposed to help their patients get better. But sometimes, their carelessness and negligence results in serious injuries that can prove fatal. When that happens, families can pursue compensation for their losses.
Those are just a few examples of accidents and scenarios that can lead to wrongful death claims. If you lost a loved one due to another person’s or party’s negligence, we want to help. Call today for a free consultation.
March 19th, 2018|
Spring is here, and that means many boat owners in California will be taking their vessels out over the coming weeks and months. Whether you’re an avid boater or only hit the waters a few times per year, it’s important to remember that boating comes with many dangers and risks, especially when you don’t follow all of the necessary safety precautions.
You can make your next day out on the water safer and more enjoyable for yourself, your family, and your friends by following these safety tips:
- Stock up on life jackets. Life jackets can save lives in the event of an emergency, and it’s essential that you have at least one on board for every person on your boat. In addition, you’re also required to have a throwable floatation device if your boat is more than 16-feet in length.
- Never operate a boat after consuming alcohol. Just as it’s important to abstain from drinking alcohol before driving a vehicle, it’s also vital that you avoid drinking before or during a boat outing when you’re behind the wheel.
- Keep your eyes and mind on the water. Distraction isn’t just a problem when you’re driving on four wheels—it’s also a significant problem for boaters. Because boating is such a social activity, it’s easy for drivers to become distracted, but you should always keep your full and undivided attention on steering the boat safely.
March 12th, 2018|
Medical device manufacturers often promise that their products will provide relief to patients who suffer from a wide variety of health problems. And while many patients do benefit from medical devices, some may experience severe and even life-threatening complications—especially when those defective devices are implanted into their bodies.
Medical devices can be defective for different reasons, including flawed designs, low-quality components, and flawed manufacturing processes. Because medical devices are often surgically implanted inside patients’ bodies, it may be difficult to tell if they have failed or are in the process of failing. That means patients may not realize the symptoms they’re experiencing are due to their medical devices breaking down.
Although any medical device can be defective, three of the most common include:
- Hip replacements – There are several types of hip implants, and some of the most popular are linked to serious injuries, including bone fractures, metal poisoning (metallosis), tissue death, and bone loss.
- Knee replacements – Some knee replacements are also prone to failure, and patients who receive defective knee implants often experience debilitating symptoms that can include pain, reduced range of motion, instability, and difficulty walking.
- Birth control implants – For many women, the convenience and reliability of birth control implants is a major selling point, but some of those devices are linked to conditions that include internal organ damage, infection, and even infertility.
March 5th, 2018|
No one should have to deal with the aftermath of an auto accident alone. It’s important to reach out for help in a variety of ways. Seeing a doctor as soon as possible after your accident can help you get the treatment you need, while speaking with friends and family members about what happened and what you’re dealing with can help you better handle the accident’s aftermath psychologically and emotionally.
In addition to protecting your physical and mental health, it’s also important to protect your legal rights. Auto accidents can be expensive, especially when they cause victims to suffer injuries that keep them out of work for long periods of time. However, getting full compensation can be difficult—and some victims don’t get any compensation for accidents that weren’t their fault, leaving them to pay for expensive medical bills out of their own pockets.
A California auto accident attorney at Berg Injury Lawyers wants to change that. For more than 30 years, we’ve helped injured victims like you by:
- Proving fault for the accident – Successful auto accident claims begin with proof that the victim didn’t cause the crash. We can investigate the crash scene and collect evidence from a variety of sources to leave no doubt about who caused your crash.
- Negotiating to get you the money you deserve – Insurance companies are often reluctant to pay victims full compensation. Instead, they frequently offer “lowball” settlements. If we handle your case, we’ll calculate how much you’re owed, and we’ll fight to get you maximum compensation.
Trust our experience and our desire to win against big insurance companies who profit from denying victims the damages they deserve. Call today for a free consultation.
February 26th, 2018|
Prescription and over-the-counter medications are supposed to make us feel better, but oversights during the research and development phases can lead to potentially harmful drugs being released to the market.
A wide range of commonly-prescribed medications are linked to serious health conditions, including Type 2 diabetes drugs, heartburn drugs, and blood thinner drugs. At Berg Injury Lawyers, we know that adverse effects from those medications are more common than many patients realize, but their doctors may not always be aware of the risks that certain medications pose.
If you or someone you love were hurt by a prescription medication, a California drug injury lawyer wants to help you get the compensation you deserve. When you let us handle your drug injury claim, you can count on us to:
- Gather evidence that proves the drug caused your illness your injury – The first step in a drug injury claim is proving the drug caused adverse health effects, and we know how to gather evidence that leaves no doubt about the origin of your illness or injury.
- Stand up to the drug and insurance companies – Taking on big corporations on your own can be daunting, and it may be hard to get a favorable outcome. Throughout our years of experience, we’ve learned what it takes to stand up against big companies.
- Negotiate to get you maximum compensation – Getting a settlement isn’t always enough, as insurance companies frequently “lowball” victims. It’s our goal to fight on your behalf until you’re offered the amount you deserve.
Call today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help you or your loved one with your drug injury.
February 19th, 2018|
At Berg Injury Lawyers, our California veterans disability benefits attorneys help many people who served their country get the benefits they’re entitled to. We have years of experience fighting for the rights of injured veterans, and we know that the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has strict guidelines for issuing and awarding benefits. Even small, minor mistakes can put applications in jeopardy.
When people are denied the benefits they earned during their military service, they may feel like giving up. But it’s important for all veterans to remember that they’re still entitled to benefits, and we’re here to help guide them through the application process.
You can increase your chances of being approved by avoiding some common mistakes that veterans make when they apply for benefits. Those include:
- Downplaying symptoms – Many military veterans are reluctant to list all of the ways that their service-related injuries and illnesses affect them. But being honest and comprehensive when it comes to describing symptoms is essential, as downplaying symptoms can make the VA assume that you’re in better health than you actually are.
- Waiting too long to get help – It’s important to begin working on your application as soon as your injuries or illnesses begin affecting you. Evidence can quickly disappear, and it may be more difficult to link your illness or injury to your service. An attorney is ready to help you obtain evidence that confirms the origin of your health problems.
Pursuing veterans disability claims can be frustrating and intimidating, but having a legal advocate on your side can make all the difference. Call today for a free consultation.
February 12th, 2018|
Whether due to accidents, diseases, or age-related conditions, some people’s joints are prone to wearing out and failing over time. When joints no longer work properly, the symptoms can be debilitating and disabling. Victims often experience severe pain and may even lose mobility.
Thankfully, people whose joints have worn out can get artificial replacement joints, which are surgically inserted into their bodies and designed to provide the same range of motion as real joints. However, there’s always a significant chance of complications when foreign objects are implanted inside people’s bodies—and the risks increase when those foreign objects are poorly designed, use inferior materials, or are prone to failure.
At Berg Injury Lawyers, our California defective product lawyers know that joint replacements—especially for hip and knee patients—can bring immense relief, but they’re also capable of causing serious pain and lost mobility.
If you or someone you love were hurt by a joint replacement, you may be eligible for compensation for:
- Medical bills – When joint replacements fail, patients must undergo extensive medical treatment such as revision surgeries and physical rehabilitation—all of which can be extremely expensive.
- Lost wages – Many patients have joint replacement surgery with the belief that they’ll be able to return to work soon. But when hip or knee replacements fail, they may be left in even more pain and with less mobility than before, putting them out of work indefinitely.
Don’t wait to get the experienced legal help you deserve. Get in touch with us today—call now for a free consultation.