December 10th, 2018|
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are aptly named. Even relatively minor blows to the head can result in significant and life-changing effects for victims, while more serious injuries can cause victims to suffer profound cognitive disabilities, personality changes, and physical limitations.
At Berg Injury Lawyers, our California brain injury attorneys know that TBIs can happen due to a variety of circumstances and scenarios. They may occur during auto accidents, because of preventable medical complications, or because of poor workplace safety protocols. Regardless of how they happen, the people who suffer from TBIs—along with their families—often face a lifetime of challenges related to their care and treatment.
Many TBI victims lose their ability to live independently, and they may require extensive medical care for months, years, or even decades. The families of those victims may have no choice but to hire medical professionals to care for their loved ones around the clock. The costs of such care can be astronomical, especially when the victims themselves were primary income earners for their loved ones.
Our legal team believes that TBI victims and their families shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for the consequences of injuries that weren’t their fault. That’s why we do everything in our power to help our clients get maximum compensation. From collecting evidence that leaves no doubt about how the TBI occurred, to calculating how much compensation your family deserves, we’re ready to fight for your rights. Call today for a free consultation.
December 3rd, 2018|
If you recently lost a loved one due to another person’s or party’s negligence, you may be eligible to file a claim for compensation. There are four types of compensation that surviving family members often receive at the conclusion of wrongful death claims:
- Medical bills—Whether your loved one suffered a preventable injury or developed a preventable illness, he or she may have required extensive medical treatment. Unfortunately, medical bills aren’t discharged when patients pass away, and that means you may be facing huge healthcare costs that you can’t afford without filing a compensation claim.
- Lost wages—If your loved one was a primary income earner for your household, his or her death may have devastating effects on your family’s finances. It can be difficult to afford day-to-day living expenses without his or her income, but a wrongful death claim can help you recoup some or all of that money.
- Funeral costs—Funerals are more expensive than ever, and trying to afford one when you’re already facing so many other expenses can be overwhelming. Wrongful death claims help provide relief for families who are worried that they might not be able to give their loved ones the funerals they deserve.
- Loss of consortium—Above all else, losing a loved one means losing a person you deeply cared about and who provided many types of support to you and the rest of your family. Wrongful death claims also take that loss into consideration when settlement claims are calculated.
November 26th, 2018|
At Berg Injury Lawyers, our California truck accident attorneys do everything in our power to help innocent victims get the representation and compensation they deserve after a truck accident.
However, we can’t always be there in the immediate aftermaths of accidents. While we encourage victims to contact us as soon as possible so that we can take over the major and minor details of their claims, there are a few steps that victims can take before calling us that can have big impacts on their health and their chances of recovering maximum damages.
The three steps that all truck accident victims should take as soon as possible after their crashes include:
- Report the accident. Your first step after any type of auto accident is to call 911. California law requires that all crashes that involve injuries or property damage be reported to law enforcement. You also may need to report the accident to your insurance company.
- Get medical treatment. This step is a no-brainer if you suffered serious and obvious injuries during the crash, but it’s important to be checked out by a doctor even if you don’t think you were hurt. Some injuries take time to show up, and a doctor can find and treat those injuries early.
- Call a lawyer. Truck accidents are complex and require plenty of evidence and a proactive approach. The sooner you call our office, the better your chances will be of obtaining full compensation.
You have enough to worry about after your truck accident. Let us handle the details of your claim while you focus on getting better. Call today for a free consultation.
November 19th, 2018|
Dog bites aren’t just painful—they have the potential to cause victims to suffer debilitating and even life-threatening complications. To make matters worse, some dog bite victims are left unable to work for long periods of time. And when they’re not able to go to work, they’re not earning the paychecks their loved ones depend on.
There are three common ways that dog bites can put victims out of work for long periods of time, and they include:
- Nerve damage—Dogs have sharp teeth that can penetrate the skin and muscles and damage or sever nerves. Nerve damage can result in temporary or permanent loss of feeling and movement in affected body parts, making it difficult or impossible for victims to go back to work.
- Pain—The injuries inflicted by dog bites can be extremely painful. Because of the damage that dogs’ teeth can do to victims’ skin, muscles, ligaments, and tendons, victims may be unable to use their hands, arms, feet, or legs for weeks or even months while they heal.
- Infection—Dogs’ mouths are filled with potentially harmful bacteria that can enter victims’ bloodstreams when they’re bitten. In addition, victims also may be at risk of secondary infections from environmental sources. Dog bite-related infections can cause serious complications locally and throughout the body—some of which can be life-threatening.
At Berg Injury Lawyers, our California dog bite attorneys are ready to help anyone who can’t work and is facing expensive medical bills after being attacked by a dog. Call us today for a free consultation.
November 12th, 2018|
Insurance companies spend big money every year on advertising campaigns that are designed to make people think that they’re on their side and that they freely give money to policyholders and victims when they need it. Unfortunately, the opposite is true in most cases. Insurance companies are in business to make big profits, and paying out settlements and claims isn’t part of that business model.
If you or someone you love was recently hurt in an auto accident that was caused by another driver’s negligence, filing a claim for compensation can help you get money for your medical bills and lost wages. But insurance companies rarely agree to pay victims what they deserve without a fight. In fact, insurance companies have teams of adjusters whose primary job is to find ways to reduce or deny payments.
They accomplish that by using the following tricks and traps against innocent victims:
- Offering an initial settlement—The physical shock of an auto accident can quickly be replaced with financial shock, especially when your injuries put you out of work for a long period of time. Insurance companies count on victims’ desperation by offering lowball settlements—and when victims accept, they forgo their chance to pursue additional compensation.
- Getting you to admit fault for the crash—Offering lowball settlements isn’t always enough, as many insurance companies seek to pay victims no compensation at all. They attempt to achieve that by getting victims to admit full or partial fault for crashes, even if it means twisting their words or quoting them out of context.
November 5th, 2018|
In return for your agreement to serve your country as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, you’re entitled to certain benefits, including disability benefits if an injury or illness prevents you from carrying out your duties. But getting those benefits is a challenge for many service members.
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) doesn’t approve applications easily, and while its strict criteria help cut down on fraud, it also means that many veterans with valid claims often get denied. At Berg Injury Lawyers, our California veterans disability lawyers believe that no veteran who served their country should be denied the benefits that they deserve.
When you contact our legal team to handle your disability benefits claim, you’ll get the following assistance:
- We’ll prove your injury or illness was service-related—Many claims are denied due to the VA believing that health problems originated outside of military service. We’ll collect evidence that leaves no doubt about the origin of your disability.
- We’ll make sure your claim is accurate and complete—The VA is quick to deny or dismiss claims with even minor mistakes and oversights. Our legal team knows the ins-and-outs of claims, and you’ll have peace of mind with our attorneys reviewing your application.
Those are just a some of the services we provide to military members who need benefits for their disabilities. Whether you’re filing for the first time or need help appealing the VA’s decision, we want to hear from you. Call today for a free consultation.
October 29th, 2018|
Social Security benefits aren’t just for retirees. They’re also designed to protect people who are injured or develop illnesses that prevent them from going back to work. The Social Security Administration (SSA) is in charge of overseeing the benefits system and determining who gets monthly paychecks, but the criteria for approving claims is strict. That means people with serious illnesses and injuries often fall through the cracks and are unable to get the benefits they deserve.
At Berg Injury Lawyers, our California Social Security Disability lawyers know this fact all too well. We’ve helped many people who are unable to go back to work due to health conditions apply for benefits or appeal the SSA’s decisions on their claims. In addition to having a law firm on your side that knows the ins and outs of SSD benefits claims, it’s also important to know why claims are often denied:
- Incomplete, inaccurate, or missing paperwork—The SSA wants thorough documentation of everything related to your illness or injury. If anything is missing, not completely filled out, or contains incorrect information, your claim may be denied.
- Lack of evidence concerning your illness or injury—Going to the doctor and following up with medical appointments is essential for SSD benefits eligibility. If you fail to do so, the SSA may not believe your health problems are serious enough to warrant awarding you the money you deserve.
We don’t think you should have to worry about mistakes costing you a chance to get money. Call us today for a free consultation, and let us get to work for you.
October 22nd, 2018|
If you ride a motorcycle, you know how important it is to protect yourself every time you head out on California’s highways and interstates. That includes riding defensively, always being on the lookout for vehicles, and wearing full safety gear, including an industry-approved helmet, riding jacket and pants, gloves, and boots.
Taking those steps can significantly reduce your risk of being involved in an accident, but there’s always a chance you’ll be struck by a vehicle. That’s because motorists don’t always look out for motorcycles, especially at intersections or during times of reduced visibility. And while wearing all the gear, all the time can help reduce your chances of suffering serious injuries, the lack of protection and safety features on motorcycles means riders are always vulnerable.
Some of the most common serious injuries associated with motorcycle accidents include:
- Head injuries—Industry-approved motorcycle helmets are designed to significantly reduce the risk of brain injuries or death during crashes. But they can only withstand so much force. When riders are thrown from their bikes or collide with vehicles or other objects, they’re still at risk of suffering debilitating head injuries.
- Spinal injuries—No safety gear can provide adequate protection for riders’ spines during crashes. Everything from the forces generated at the point of collision to impact with the ground can cause permanent spinal injuries that can result in paralysis.
- Skin injuries—Any area of skin that’s exposed during motorcycle crashes can be seriously injured. Road rash is a common and painful complication after motorcycle accidents, and it can leave victims suffering and disfigured.
October 15th, 2018|
When companies release new products to the consumer, industrial, or medical markets, they’re supposed to make sure they’re safe and don’t pose any significant dangers. But in an effort to rush products to market and to maximize profits, some companies skip important testing phases or even lie about potential risks their products can pose to the people who use them.
At Berg Injury Lawyers, our California defective product attorneys hold negligent and careless companies responsible for the damages their products cause to innocent people. If you or someone you love were hurt by a product, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
We handle a wide variety of defective product claims, ranging from dangerous vehicles and cribs to exploding e-cigarettes and potentially life-threatening medical devices. No matter what type of product caused you or your loved one to suffer a serious injury or health-related complication, we’re ready to collect evidence that proves the manufacturer failed to do its due diligence.
In addition, we know how to calculate exactly how much your defective product injury will cost you—both now and in the future. Getting a settlement for your current medical bills and lost wages isn’t enough when you may need additional treatments and have no idea when you’ll be able to return to work.
Get in touch with our law firm today to find out how we may be able to put our experience to work for your family. Call now for a free consultation.
October 8th, 2018|
Over-the-counter and prescription medications are supposed to make you feel better. But when drug manufacturers fail to conduct thorough testing on their products—or when they intentionally hide side effects and complications from regulatory agencies, doctors, and patients—serious injuries and illnesses can and often do occur.
Being harmed by a medication that you thought would help you is a devastating experience. It’s difficult enough to decide to take many medications due to their known side effects, but it’s even worse to find out you were a victim of a complication that should have been publicized by the drug manufacturer.
Taking the following steps after suffering a drug injury can protect your health and your rights to pursue maximum compensation:
- Call your doctor or go to the hospital—Depending on the severity of the drug injury, you may need to go to a hospital right away. Otherwise, get in touch with your doctor as soon as possible. Describe your symptoms, but don’t stop taking your medication without getting approval from your doctor.
- Call an experienced California drug injury lawyer—Drug manufacturers should be held liable for any injuries and illnesses that their products cause to innocent victims like you. We know how to calculate how much your drug injury will cost you to demand a fair settlement.
At Berg Injury Lawyers, our legal team is here to help anyone who was harmed by an over-the-counter or prescription medication. Get in touch with us today for a free consultation.