When should I hire a lawyer?
Accidents happen all the time in California, but accident victims don’t always need the help of an attorney. In California, you should contact a personal injury lawyer if any of the following apply:
- You or your family member were injured and received medical treatment
- Someone else is at least partly responsible for your accident
- You were hurt on someone else’s property
- Your injuries affect your ability to work
- You will require ongoing medical care for your injuries
- Your application for Social Security, workers’ compensation, or veterans benefits was denied
- You or a family member took a drug and experienced health problems because of it
- A product, vehicle, piece of equipment, or medical device malfunctioned and caused your injury
- You or your child were bitten by a dog
- Your loved one died because of someone else’s actions
Many people have never hired a lawyer before and find the process unfamiliar and even intimidating. We’ve compiled a list of questions to ask and things to look out for when hiring an attorney in California, so you can find the right lawyer for you and your family.
If you don’t know whether or not you need a lawyer, contact us. At Berg Injury Lawyers, we offer free initial consultations and can quickly tell you, for free, whether or not you could benefit from our services. With more than 35 years of experience, our success speaks for itself. Give us a call 24/7 at (800) 400-2374 or complete our free online form today.
Why do I need a lawyer?
The Insurance Research Council reports that, on average, people who retain personal injury lawyers receive almost three times more money than people who don’t use lawyers.
Insurance companies are for-profit businesses in a billion-dollar industry. They have adjusters and legal teams dedicated to protecting their profits by paying injury victims as little as possible. Once you settle with an insurance company, it is almost impossible to go back later and get more money. While many factors can affect the amount of a reward, without a lawyer you risk not getting the full amount you need to cover your expenses.
What can a lawyer do for me?
At Berg Injury Lawyers, we can help prepare your claim by:
- Gathering evidence related to the accident or your injuries
- Compiling medical records
- Calculating the true costs of your injuries
- Proving another party was at fault
- Contacting the insurance company and demanding a settlement
- Going to court to fight for your rights, if necessary
In addition, having a lawyer means you can relax and focus on getting better instead of filling out paperwork and dealing with the insurance company.
How much does it cost to get a lawyer?
Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. At Berg Injury Lawyers, we offer the No Fee Guarantee®. If you don’t win, you pay nothing. Our attorneys believe in giving everyone equal access to the legal system. We want you to know that you can afford a good lawyer, and to trust that we’ll only take your case if we think we can help you get the money you deserve.
When you get Berg Injury Lawyers, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
How long do I have to file a claim?
In California, personal injury claims are subject to a statute of limitations, or a time limit on how long you have to file a claim after an accident. For most cases, these limits are anywhere from one to two years after the accident or injury occurred.
How much money will I get?
The monetary value of your claim depends on several factors, such as:
- The type and extent of your injuries
- Your total current and future accident-related medical expenses
- Your current and future lost income due to disability or injury
- Your level of pain and suffering
When you meet with an attorney from Berg Injury Lawyers, he or she will walk you through each aspect of your claim to determine an estimated amount of compensation you may be eligible to receive from the at-fault party.
Do I have to go to court?
Most of the time, victims like you are not required to go to court. Our California personal injury lawyers are often able to reach an agreement for a fair settlement with the negligent party and their insurance company before going to court. However, if an agreement can’t be reached, or if the money offered isn’t enough, we’ll fight for your case in court. You may be required to be present in the courtroom alongside your attorney, but our personal injury lawyers will walk you through the process and stand by you every step of the way.