February 8th, 2016|
If you’ve been injured in a serious car accident and are considering hiring a lawyer, it’s important to know the process for a personal injury case before you take it on. Here are the 8 steps to most personal injury cases:
- Get a lawyer—As soon as you are able, you should call an experienced law firm to handle your personal injury claim. They will shepherd you through the process from start to finish and be your main advocate in getting the compensation you deserve.
- Investigate your case—The first step your law firm will take on your behalf is investigating the case thoroughly. That includes analyzing the police report, examining the accident scene, and interviewing any witnesses to the accident.
- Present your case—Once your law firm has built its case, it will present its findings to the insurance company.
- Settlement Offer—The insurance company will do one of two things next. Either they will present a settlement offer based on the case we presented or deny your claim altogether.
- Negotiation—Most of the time, the initial offer from the insurance company is not enough to compensate you for the full extent of your injuries. At this stage, we’ll do our best to work with the insurance company to get a settlement offer more commensurate with your situation.
- Settlement or lawsuit—If our negotiations yield a fair settlement agreement, we’ll advise you to take it. If not, we’ll take the insurance company to court.
- Trial Preparation—Preparing for a jury trial takes a great deal of time and resources, which is why we try to settle out of court if possible. Sometimes, that’s not possible and we have to take your claim to the courtroom. We’ll prepare evidence, prep you for what to expect, and file all the necessary paperwork for your day in court.
- Trial—Depending on the complexity of the case, personal injury trials can take as little as one day or as long as a few weeks to be heard and decided. We’ll present our case to the court, and then the insurance company will have its turn. After both sides have presented their cases, the jury will deliberate and come back with a verdict.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, we strongly recommend you proceed to step 1 immediately. The sooner you get an experienced San Francisco car accident attorney on your side, the sooner you can put this accident behind you.