Causes of Car Accidents in CaliforniaAlthough car accidents can be caused by many different variables, there are a few factors that tend to show up time and time again in our accident investigations. In Northern California, most car accidents are caused by:
- Distracted Driving Drivers who use cell phones, read, eat, or hold conversations with passengers aren’t focusing on staying in their own lanes and being vigilant for the presence of other vehicles.
- Speeding Speed is a contributing factor in more than 50,000 car accidents in California each year. Not only does speeding reduce reaction times—making accidents more likely to occur—crashes at higher speeds are more likely to cause severe injuries and fatalities.
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI) Drunk Driving is the primary cause of more than 12,000 serious accidents in California each year, over 500 of which are fatal. Car accidents caused by drunk driving are preventable and easily avoided by using alternate forms of transportation or taking advantage of free programs like our Safe & Sober Free Cab Ride Home program. At Berg Injury Lawyers, we have zero tolerance for drunk drivers. If you or your family member were injured by a drunk driver, we want to help you get justice.
- Drivers Who Aren’t Aware of Their Surroundings Many car accidents are caused by drivers who simply don’t pay close attention to the road, other drivers, and traffic signals, such as stop signs and stop lights.
- Failing to Obey Traffic Laws Following too closely and making illegal U-turns are just some examples of behaviors that can cause serious auto accidents.
- Poor Road Conditions Local and state governments are responsible for maintaining the condition of roadways at all times. If they fail to address issues like potholes, missing guard rails, and sudden elevation changes, drivers may lose control of their vehicles and crash.
- Manufacturer Errors Car manufacturers are held to high standards for every vehicle they make, because when parts fail, vehicles may crash and drivers and passengers can suffer serious injuries.
Common Injuries Suffered in Auto AccidentsNo matter what caused your auto accident, your injuries are your biggest concern. Some of the most common injuries our clients suffer in highway accidents include:
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Head, neck, and spinal injuries
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Paralysis and nerve damage