Cigarette Blamed For San Francisco Fire That Injured Two

by Staff Blogger | December 5th, 2011

December 5, 2011

Cigarettes are not only hazardous to your health because of the smoke, but also because of the fire hazard they create. A lit cigarette is being blamed for starting a fire in a San Francisco apartment building that left one resident and a firefighter injured. According to CBS –San Francisco the blaze erupted at around 8:00 in the morning on Sunday at 347 Eddy Street.

Firefighters who responded to the scene stated an initial investigation showed that the fire originated with a cigarette butt that was thrown down in a lightwell and not properly extinguished. The fire grew until it consumed nearly six stories of the building. Although the fire remained mostly contained in the lightwell, flames had managed to seep into several surrounding walls. This meant firefighters had to tear out walls in several residencies and hallways in order to fully extinguish the flames.

No injuries were reported except for a firefighter and resident who required treatment for smoke inhalation. They were both taken to a local area hospital where they received treatment and were released.

Firefighters say the best way to avoid an accident like this one is to not smoke indoors and to always use proper cigarette receptacles to fully extinguish a cigarette or cigar when done.

The California Fire and Burn Attorneys with Berg Injury Lawyers have years of experience handling cases where victims were injured in fire that started at no fault of their own. Learn more about the firm by watching this informative video.